Climate reading list
These are the climate readings that have been most influential as we've started Watershed. Please send us recommendations or feedback as you look through.
The problem statement
- Background on climate fundamentals
- IPCC 1.5 report: Inspirational message that the current trajectory is disastrous but it's not too late to redirect to a good outcome.
- Latest emissions gap report
- Berkeley Earth: rigorous verification of core climate science.
- Video series from University of Bremen
- The best science fiction book on climate change
- Climate change after pandemic
- Human cost
- Cost to the natural world
- On feedbacks and tipping points
- The big good news: Clean energy generation is now the least expensive in many geographies. Only one piece of the puzzle but a very, very important piece.
- Core data
- Commentary on how this happened and how to replicate the success
- Case study of how this happened in the UK
- Video lecture on state of US transition
- Demand-matched clean power: How to move to 100% clean electricity given the diurnal and seasonal variation of solar and wind
- In addition to electricity, where do emissions come from?
- Scenario modeling: Books and tools for thinking about strategies
- The role of carbon removal
- Interesting opinion pieces
The role of corporations
- 2011 Nature opinion
- Money Is the Oxygen on Which the Fire of Global Warming Burns
- Larry Fink's letter to CEOs: the 2020 letter, the 2021 letter
- Review pieces:
- A quick explainer about net zero from Grist
- Science Based Targets
- Examples of leading companies
- Microsoft's program
- Vox's coverage of Microsoft
- Apple's program, see their 2021 progress report
- Greening the grid: how Google buys renewable energy